Stay Informed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i686 Architecture

4 posters

Go down

i686 Architecture Empty i686 architecture

Post by pvtnum11 Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Anyone got an old Pentium OverDrive lying around? 200Mhz would be good, in Socket 8 configuration. I priced one just for the lulz and saw a 200Mhz Socket 8 for 25 bucks.

Yeah, it's old.

So, if your CMOS battery is totally dead, is there any downside besides BIOS never being able to save anything once you turn the machine off? It always thinks that it's Janurary 1st, 199-something now, and 12 AM. Still boots, though, you just have to tell it to ignore the fact that the system clock is not set. No Y2K problems for me, it thinks it's in the nineties still, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hopefully it's not one of those stupid soldered-in batteries. Some manufacturers gambled that your hardware would die before the battery would, which usually survive for about a decade or so. Cheapskates...

As this clunker is i686 technology, and with the Socket 8 design, any upgrade options are limited. The Front-side Bus, if anyone cares, is a whopping 66Mhz. Thank you, Intel... Still got to see if I got DIMMS or SIMMS for RAM. And some method of getting WIN 98SE on it, if I can find a copy.

Someone commit me to the State Mental Hospsital, I must be insane. But hey, after sitting around for YEARS collecting dust, I'm amazed it still fires up and runs. Not used to CRT's anymore, though, the flicker was going to give me a seizure.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

i686 Architecture Empty Re: i686 Architecture

Post by Ambush Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:12 pm

I think it's cool to resurrect old PCs. I was thinking of bring my 386 from the house to Hawaii when I go visit. That would be mean, eh? Unfortunately, I have no useful knowledge on your PC. Talk to Slavic, though. He has a Pentium 1 processor. I don't know if it will fit, or if he would give it to you if it did.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:42 pm

The Pentium 1's ae a bit diffeent then the Pentium Pro's, methinks. Pro's are sort of Pentium one and a halfs, then they came out with the totally different II's, which were mounted in cartridges and slid vertically into the motherboard. I helped my boss build a totally awesome PII machine, but he forgot RAM. WE ended up pilfering some RAM out of one of the goov't machines just so he could load Windows 98 into it, it just barely worked. It ws something like a 300-400Mhz processor, I can't remember much of the details.

A 386? Awesome. We had one in our shop for some automated test sets, thing was a total DOG. No hard drive, you had to load the 5 1/4 floppy every time you wanted it to do anything. Dinky 6-inch green CRT display built into the case, it was rack-nounted into the test set. We considered doing Scorched Earth on it, but SE would've probably required all the RAM to run.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambush Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:48 pm

pvtnum11 wrote:The Pentium 1's ae a bit diffeent then the Pentium Pro's, methinks. Pro's are sort of Pentium one and a halfs, then they came out with the totally different II's, which were mounted in cartridges and slid vertically into the motherboard. I helped my boss build a totally awesome PII machine, but he forgot RAM. WE ended up pilfering some RAM out of one of the goov't machines just so he could load Windows 98 into it, it just barely worked. It ws something like a 300-400Mhz processor, I can't remember much of the details.

A 386? Awesome. We had one in our shop for some automated test sets, thing was a total DOG. No hard drive, you had to load the 5 1/4 floppy every time you wanted it to do anything. Dinky 6-inch green CRT display built into the case, it was rack-nounted into the test set. We considered doing Scorched Earth on it, but SE would've probably required all the RAM to run.

All I know is that I ran Wolfenstein through the command line. Memories...
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Romanovski Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:15 pm

u could always get a new CMOS battery at walmart for $5. LOL
Romanovski
Romanovski
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

http://www.whitecrowsecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Heh, forgot that button batteries are cheap...

Need to buy more 9V's, too.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Slavicio Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Ambush wrote:I think it's cool to resurrect old PCs. I was thinking of bring my 386 from the house to Hawaii when I go visit. That would be mean, eh? Unfortunately, I have no useful knowledge on your PC. Talk to Slavic, though. He has a Pentium 1 processor. I don't know if it will fit, or if he would give it to you if it did.

Yeah I got a nice Pentim 2 processor. I use as a heatsink for my laptop when I game. As you all know our laptops get pretty hot when you are fragging. This processor has built-in heatsink and it looks like a PCI card....OG dudes.
Slavicio
Slavicio
{VoIP} Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum