Stay Informed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XP Live USB

2 posters

Go down

XP Live USB Empty XP Live USB

Post by pvtnum11 Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey guys,

Got gifted an old Dell Insiron 6000, XP-based machine, and am looking to make an XP Live USB drive for it so I can resurrect it. Also getting a Toshiba laptop that is parts-only, so that means I'll have four fully operable machines, and three in various stages of disrepair:

1. My Asus G50V, still trucking along with Vista. I'd like to replace it eventually, but it seems stable and durable. I've gotten my money's worth on this one.
2. Daughter's Asus netbook, running 7. Thanks Roman!
3. Wife's Dell piece of crud laptop that is all kludged to hell and back, running 7. It's name is Legion, for it's problems are many - bad CD-ROM drive, battery is total crap, keyboard lettering is rubbed of on half of the keys, the monitor hinges are falling apart, and the internal wireless card died. We have it working as a desktop, bypassing ALL the issues with external prehipheral devices. Basically, it's on life-support. All she does is run Minecraft, Terraria and Skype, though.
4. Old Dell desktop that still technically works, but has been collecting dust for awhile, ran XP-SP3 last time I had it up. This was our only computer for awhile. I stripped down XP on this thing to run quite fast, considering it's about six years old. Probably still works, just needs to be cabled upt o a monitor and input devices.

We want to replace 3 and 4 by building a custom desktop rig, eventually, but she's

5. Wife's old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1525 or something, which I have parted out. Still got to get rid of the remains. I ripped the hard drive out and it's in the Asus as backup storage. I'll probably stick whatever ram I kept from that into the other Dell.
6. The Dell Inspiron 6000 I'm getting. Has a "mup.sys" problem hence why I want a Live stick. Has XP on it. Former owner is tossing in a flat-screen, too.
7. Parts Toshiba, probably scavenge the harddrive and whatever else I can finangle.

Definitely need more cowbell desk.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

XP Live USB Empty Re: XP Live USB

Post by Romanovski Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:11 am

Dude,

mup.sys means that your hard drive is shot. need a replacement. I have seen this error more times then I can count. I have the churches old laptop that I can give you if you like. Just let me know. It still works but really old and runs xp.
Romanovski
Romanovski
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

http://www.whitecrowsecurity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 am

Good thing about this dell is that it has a pretty comprehensive diagnostic suite, so yeah, hard drive is dead, failed a bunch of tests. Tries booting, locks up. Might be a bad sector, as it passes some testing okay, iunno. It fails out on the same sector over and over.

Church relic laptop: sure, you got an XP boot disk with that? Might as well end up with TWO comps. I still got the hard drive from the other laptop that I'm not really using right now, just got to rip it out of my Asus. Use one for drama ministry and stuff.

Scored a 19-inch flatscreen, now my Asus is pretty much a desktop, lol.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum