Mabook Pro - Swapping Drives - CD for HDD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mabook Pro - Swapping Drives - CD for HDD

Post by Ambush on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 am

My Macbook Pro...what can I say about it? It works good. I regret not opting for the more expensive model because now I am limited on my graphics card. It's not like you can upgrade that component in a laptop, right?

I swapped the hard drive that came with it with a Sata III one. 6gpbs per second instead of 3gpbs. The primary Sata connector for the hard drive is 6gpbs capable so my 250gb Solid State Drive is able to take full advantage of it. However, I needed more room. You see, I loaded both OSX and Windows on my Macbook. So, I created a backup of the Windows, deleted it, and reallocated it to the OSX partition. The 250gb all goes to the MAC OS now. What about Windows?

I still have the old drive. It's a decent size, but it's either 5400rpm or 7200rpm. Not as fast. The optical bay will support another hard drive if I chose to remove the cd drive. Who uses CDs anyway? I sure don't. But, one can never be too prepared. I bought a cheap external cd drive that I will have with me in my laptop bag. Problem solved. The next issue is how am I going to fit a hard drive into a cd rom bay? It's significantly smaller. Solution: Optical Bay Adapter. Bought one on Amazon. Once it gets here I will plug the hard drive in, reinstall Windows, and do a restore. It will be as though nothing happened. Now each operating system has their own house to play in. This should limit potential hard drive corruption issues.

My dilema is that I had an important program on my previous Windows install. So without that optical bay adapter, which is now on the island waiting to be delivered, I cannot do the restore of my backup and use that program. It's for studying. It is registered only to one computer, it's hard to hack it, too. Crazy.

Picture below looks sort of like what I ordered. It is made to fit my Macbook Pro 15" 2011 Model.

Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top