Stay Informed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GTX 280 3 Way SLI Watercooling

Go down

GTX 280 3 Way SLI Watercooling Empty GTX 280 3 Way SLI Watercooling

Post by Ambush Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Well, I've always had an issue with my video cards getting to hot. A lot of times, it doesn't seem like it, the temps are ok and it doesn't blue screen.

The Problem
The issue is artifacts. I see them a lot when I overclock and is an indication of a few things. I need to do more testing. I'll try to increase the voltage a little to something safe that's been tested. The voltage program EVGA has allows you to see when you are going overboard. I'm always well under, though. This may give me some different results.

Possible Solution
I was thinking that the GTX 300's or 100's or whatever they come out with as the next King of GPU's I will buy. However, I don't see the point. Yeah I know DX11. Who cares though? Most games aren't even DX10 these days. It wouldn't be that expensive now that they've been out a while to get the waterblocks for them and the cooling kit.

The Problem #2
With my current setup I've learned a lot about what it is to build a computer and how to deal with issues. Electricity has always been a big problem. My rig is always in a state of power saving when it's not used for gaming. The video cards are down clocked and only reach default clocks when a game loads. It's cool I don't even have to touch it. I do not use standby mode because it's finicky. I turn it off completely and even hit the switch on the back of the PSU. I now have a battery backup that will withhold my system...unless I overclock that it manifests and beeps to inform me I'm over the wattage. I guess I can keep it since it holds, but I will be on the lookout for a more powerful one. I still have the receipt and box to return it if I need to.

Conclusion
Watercooling will only add all the more to power consumption. I believe the wall outlets don't matter and that the room I'm in shares the same amount of electricity. I could be wrong and to test this I'm going to relocate my battery backup which has my plugs for my computer accessories to another wall outlet different from the Air Conditioner. My computer used to shut off if I overclocked.

It's OK to draw a lot of power as long as its not for hours and hours. It's not good for the electric bill which is why I don't really overclock because there is no need. Sometimes for testing and in Crysis I will temporarily overclock to see the different results. I'm still debating about this. Watercooling just the GPU's is cake. I don't need to mess with the Motherboard or anything.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum