Stay Informed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ambush's Official Build Thread

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ambush's Official Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ambush's Official Build Thread

Post by Ambush Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am

Update

Ok, so there is a list I have for MVP Motorsports. It is mostly dress up items and non-essential. However, I would like the mechanic to do everything at once, so I may place this order.

Power House Racing (PHR) is who I have been getting most of my parts from. I'd prefer to continue to do business with them. They value their customers just like MVP, but it pays to stay with the same provider just like for cell phones right? Special bennies!

Power House Racing
-PHR Modified Valve Covers (polished)
-PHR Spark Plug Cover (polished)
-PHR Breather Kit (polished)
-PHR Upper Radiator Pipe (polished)
-Traction Control Delete Kit

MVP Motorsports (polished parts)
-TRD Oil Cap
-TRD Radiator Cap
-Windshield Reservoir Cap
-Water Pump Cap
-Master Cylinder and Power Steering Caps
-Water Pump Cover
-Dipstick
-PHR Radiator Plate
-Titek Fuse Box Cover
-PHR Spark Plug Cover
-Ignition Cover
-Nuts and Bolts
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ambush's Official Build Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ambush's Official Build Thread

Post by Ambush Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

HA! The list is useless. Motor needs a rebuild. Not really a HUGE deal.

When income tax comes in, I'll be putting some of it towards a built short block, which is the bottom part of the engine is simple terms. The top half I have already in storage, only has 12k miles on it if I recall. It's fully-built and can be rev'd to 8500rpm.

Once I get it, I can give all my parts to the mechanic to assemble the engine. This is neat, because he won't need my car until the SWAP is about to commence. Then he will pull my engine, cannibalize the old engine, and put the fully assembled one in. It's more complicated than that for the mechanic as there are a lot of other factors, but that is the basic idea. After it's all done setup and no issues, it will be tuned. Then the gremlins will really rear their ugly head if there is something wrong.

Not all this will be done overnight of course. Over a period of time. Once the engine is pulled, it is the PERFECT time to paint the engine bay, hide cables, replaces the engine mounts, delete useless and some useful items to have a cleaner look. I will have it painted to the OEM Black color the Supras were originally released from the factory with. The only difference is, I want several layers of clear coat. Like, a lot. So, this would be costly if it was the outside, but we're only talking about the bay now. So, when it's all done I will still want to re-do the outside of the car painting it OEM Black to match the engine bay, etc. This will not even be looked at or an option until I have ALL debt paid off and some money saved up for the heck of it. I believe that would be the best financial decision I could make.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambush Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Modifying the car further after the engine would include exterior and interior.

I would simply want a car with a DECENT paint job and clean factory interior look. If you paint the car, you better (and might as well) get the body kit / parts you want now. There is no turning back. Unless your Mr. or Ms. or Mrs. Money Bags or don't mind throwing your hard earned money down the drain, I do mind.

My thought process is this: Be careful of the amount of money you invest into this car. By going with OEM factory parts and paint, you can save some money in most cases as opposed to some high-end authentic branded body kits and exotic paint. In your mind, things seem simpler, too. No ordering expensive replacement parts from Japan or crazy additional mods to have the body kit look good.

To summarize, OEM Black paintjob with OEM parts. I may or may not get something like a Top Secret Hood. They look really nice. Interior, the panels I have now are crappy looking. I'd just replace all panels with new factory ones. The carpet, seats, gauges would also be changed. Some people really trick their interior out. I want a simple one. You sit in the car, it feels comfrotable, smells new, and looks simple. So inside and out car looks clean and stock with the exception of rims at least at this point. Then, under the hood you see a nice clean engine with only the necessary parts. Easy to work in, etc.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Why all the clear-coat for the engine bay? Just to make it easier to clean? Protip: Black hides dirt, oil and roadgrime really well. The beauty of the engine bay is that it can afford to look less pretty than the rest of the car.

Rest of the plan seems pretty solid. Clean factory stuff is usually easier to deal with than aftermarket. That and stock-appearing aftermarket items. I take it this is a Supra mech? If he has to pull parts off of the old engine, expect it to be in the shop for a few days or even longer...

Post before and after dyanometer numbers?
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambush Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Well, the mech will know how to work on the Supra since he has worked on other people's Supras before.

Yeah, I should have him do a DYNO pull before the SWAP. If I tell you I'm going to the shop soon, remind me so I don't forget.

Yeah no doubt car will be in shop for a little while. It's mainly the Cam Gears and Pullies he will need. If I had the stock ones, then I'd swap them now and have them off to the side to give him later. Unfortunately, I threw all the olds ones out since I didn't need them at the time.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambush Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:40 pm

STOP THE PRESSES

Ok, so shortblock can do ANYTHING. Well, not anything, but man I was talking to PHR and discussed if stock shortblock will handle between 600-800hp he said yes. This assumed it was brand new and unmodified. So I will save a lot of money. Praise God. No more details now just get a short block. DONE. Not yet though like next year or something.

Ambush's Official Build Thread - Page 2 Toyota%2520oem%2520block-01__79339_zoom
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Wow. Seven main bearing caps (including the ends). Pretty.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambush Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:50 pm

No new update. I am waiting on my income tax to purchase this new shortblock. It will be a while. I still have a car payment and am putting all my money towards it. Once it's paid off, it will be nice. Hoping to have majority paid off if not all before I purchase the shortblock.
Ambush
Ambush
{VoIP} Administrator
{VoIP} Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2