Stay Informed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tires!!!

Go down

New Tires!!! Empty New Tires!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:48 am

Just bought these bad boys for my car Very Happy

New Tires!!! Yokohama_S-Drive_Tyre

I'm excited to get them in by this weekend!!! Anybody know a good place that can install tires?

Back to top Go down

New Tires!!! Empty Re: New Tires!!!

Post by pvtnum11 Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 am

Nice meats. You bought tires, but not at a tire place...? Couple of places do tires. Lex Brodies comes to mind, I've had good business with the one in Waipahu.

I'll probably be there again this Saturday asking if they have a 245/50ZR16 BF Goodrich KDW's - as opposed to the KDWS's, which cost even more. If the other rear was bald, I might consider writing my signature in some empty parking lot. Maybe I'll have to settle for some G-sports, I don't know if they carry the KDW or KDWS line anymore. Tirerack.com didn't seem to have them in my size any longer, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have something suitable. I'd hate to mix and match with tires, but I don't drive on any tracks or road courses, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Wish we actually had a track here, still. Different rant.

What're these things going onto, anyway?
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 pm

They are going onto my 04 eclipse. I needed tires... mine are starting to go bald.

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm

What trim level, GT or GS?

A pity that they got rid of the factory turbocharged models when they went ot the third-gen platform... Turbocharged cars are way too easy to hop up. Up the boost, add fuel, instant power gain. N/A cars? Whole lot of extra work to do that.

You got any suspension and handling mods?
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:50 am

It's a GTS actually Smile

Yes, I do wish at times is was turbocharged... oh well someday right?

It's bone stock as far as I know when I bought it. It is a V-6 though so it has some kick with plenty of opportunities to mod it into a decent street machine.

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Ah, the three-liter right? Actually, if you compare the HP and torque rating for the older turbo models and the newer V6 models, they're virtually indentical.

Getting performance tires, you might think about getting some basic handling-improvement suspension type mods. Sway bars, bushings, strut tower braces (if you can mount the rear one).
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I want to but doesn't Hawaii get all strict n stuff when you mod your suspension?

Back to top Go down

Post by pvtnum11 Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Depends on what sort of mods. Vanilla stuff to replace aging hardware isn't usually a problem. Bushing kits, stiffer springs, better shopts/struts, connecting hardware, A-arms and linkages are usually un-noticeable on a car, some are even black powder-coated so they even look stock on a close-up inspection.

I've done my TTA's front-end suspension with aftermarket steering linkages, tie arm rods, polyurethane bushings and a few other things. Rest is stock. I want more. If/when I replace shocks and struts, I'll probably step up to better than factory hardware. Factory mass-production stamped steel stuff is adequate for daily driving. However, it is nice having a batter-handling vehicle, as you never knwo if/when you'll be called upon to avoid hitting something. Skidding into a ditch or flipping the vehicle totally sucks.

They only get anal if you seriously lower or raise the car, run way out of spec size rims and mess with camber too much. A little negative camber is good for cornering, but enough so you are force to buy new rubber-band tires every few thousand miles dumps you squarely into the 'ricer' category.

The best way to improve a car's handling is to improve the driver's ability. Tires really help. Suspension improvements help, too. Weight balance front/rear is a bit difficult to do, but even simple mods like relocating hte battery to the trunk can help. Few cars achieve the ideal 50/50 balance.
pvtnum11
pvtnum11
{VoIP} Moderator
{VoIP} Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum